I know, I know. This looks DISGUSTING! But it actually tastes pretty good, and it’s a vegetarian dinner full of complete protein lentils that you can spend 10 minutes on in the morning and have dinner ready before you even come home.
- 5-6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dry green lentils
- 3/4 cup dry red split lentils
- 1 cup dry rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese (optional…Parmesan tastes good with it, too)
Either spray the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or put a little oil in with the stew. Combine all ingredients except the cheese (if using). Cook on low for 6 hours. You might find you’ll need to add more liquid if you’re going to be out of the house for longer. Give it a quick stir before you devour.
Makes approximately 4 servings – depending on how hungry you are